Energy Upgrade California in Sonoma County
About Energy Upgrade California™
Energy Upgrade California in Sonoma County is part of a statewide program that helps homeowners pay for energy efficiency home improvements. The program encourages a “whole house” approach to energy improvements that maximizes their benefits and helps homeowners take advantage of every opportunity to save energy and money while making your living or work space more comfortable.
Basic Package – $1,000 rebate for set list of improvements:
1. Contact an Energy Upgrade California participating contractor
2. Your contractor will complete the following required measures:
- Air sealing
- Attic insulation
- Duct sealing
- Hot water pipe insulation, where accessible
- Thermostatic shut-off valve
- Combustion appliance safety testing including installation of Carbon Monoxide (CO) monitor
- Recommended: Low flow showerhead
3. Once the work is complete, your participating contractor will apply on your behalf for your $1,000 fixed utility incentive. You can apply for additional rebates and incentives where available.
Advanced Package – up to $4,500 in rebates; greater energy savings qualify for larger rebates
An Advanced Upgrade is customized for your home and your needs. The more energy you save, the bigger your rebates and incentives! You must have completed the Basic Upgrade to qualify for the Advanced Upgrade Package.
Starting with an energy assessment of your home, your participating contractor or Whole-House Home Energy Rater will work with you to identify ways to save the most energy. Your rebates and incentives depend on the energy savings of your project—up to $4,500 from your utility for a 45% increase in efficiency.
You might consider an Advanced Upgrade if:
- You want the most energy savings and the highest incentives
- Your heating and/or cooling system needs replacing
- You have already installed some of the items in the Basic Package
- You are planning a home remodel (kitchen, etc.)
Some of the upgrades in this package may include:
- Air conditioning system
- Water heater
- Wall insulation
- Dual-pane windows
- Cool roof
Not sure? Ask contractor or rater!
Flex Package – $1,500 - $2,500 in rebates; choose the most sensible upgrades for your home
- Between $1,500 and $2,500 in incentives, per project, is available to homeowners in Sonoma County
who install two or more qualifying measures.
- Each of the 24-pre-qualified upgrade measures is scored for its ability to reduce electricity and/or gas use and each Flex Package project must include two or more measures whose combined score is 150 or
- When a minimum of 150 points have been earned, every additional 10 points will earn you an additional $100 incentive, up to a maximum of 250 points and an incentive of $2,500.
- More information on qualifying measures and point values available here
Why Energy Upgrade California is Good for Sonoma County
Good for homeowners
Long-term payoff includes:
- More stable and comfortable home temperatures (cooler in summer, warmer on cold days)
- Improved indoor air quality for better health
- Energy savings of 10-40%
- Enhanced home value
Good for the economy
- Stimulates the local economy by putting contractors back to work and adding jobs
Good for the environment
- According to the U.S. EPA, residential energy use accounts for 22 percent of all CO2 emissions caused by burning fossil fuels — creating more greenhouse gases than passenger cars.
- By helping homeowners reduce energy use, Energy Upgrade California in Sonoma County significantly reduces residential greenhouse gas emissions, a key to achieving local climate protection goals.
Sonoma County homeowners can call (707) 565-6470 to learn more about available rebates and tax credits, the benefits of a whole house approach to energy upgrades, or to find a Participating Contractor.
History of the Program
Energy Upgrade California™ in Sonoma County is a program that helps residents and business owners reduce energy use and save money by providing rebates, incentives, and financing. Through this program, Sonoma County property owners address their energy saving needs by taking a “whole-building” approach, because it takes more than just switching out light bulbs to achieve maximum efficiency.
Energy Upgrade California™ is an unprecedented alliance among California counties, cities, non-profit organizations, the state's investor-owned utilities (Pacific Gas and Electric, Southern California Edison, Southern California Gas Company, and San Diego Gas & Electric Company), and publicly owned utilities. Funding for this effort comes from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA, also known as federal stimulus funds), California utility ratepayers, and private contributions. Energy upgrade rebates are administered by participating utilities.
The goals of this statewide effort are four-fold:
- Help residential and commercial consumers and the building industry become knowledgeable about the many energy and water efficiency programs and financing options that will be available during the next several years including the State Energy Programs, utility company home upgrade programs, local rebates, appliance and renewable energy rebates, and energy financing programs.
- Provide a consistent and clear message regarding how consumers can choose the best energy-efficient measures and the right contractors to provide those services.
- Drive consumers and contractors to a central resource that provides educational information that links all the state energy efficiency upgrade, rebates, and incentive programs.
- Educate the building trades and home improvement industry on jobs, training, and required certifications.